After Peace Corps 2017

I have been back to the states for about a month and a half. I decided to apply to Americorps to fill in the year that I missed in Peace Corps for a couple of reasons. First I wanted to continue work in education before and potentially while I will be getting my master. Americorps fitted because it has a timeline and i can choose the states where I will be in school. Another reason is that I am not ready to start paying back my loans. I decided that it wouldn't hurt to continue doing community service before finishing my master, because once I am done with my master I will be working towards my career goals. wish me luck!!!

I ended up moving from my hometown in Florida to a position up north in Camden with a nonprofit that provides educational services to dropouts. I loved my position there, I was responsible to create community connections where the students could do internships and potentially get a job after they graduate. I met some of the most passionate people while working there that loved to advocate for human rights and genuinely wanted to brighter future for the youth there.

Camden is not a town without it's challenges but I learned to appreciate its beauty and truly admire the efforts that the youth is showing and their drive to better their city. Working in Camden inspired me to get more involved in politics and activism.

Comments

Popular Post