Travel Speech Therapy!!

 So what's next?

I am graduating this summer with my master's in speech pathology. Last year I came across travel therapy during a seminar, and it blew my mind! I always enjoyed traveling, and I have had the opportunity to see some places around the world. I always loved moving around and explore new communities. 

Hot air balloon ride in Albuquerque, NM


When I discovered travel therapy, I could not believe that I could work and visit places around the country at the same time. So for those that do not know, travel therapy is when a therapist, like an SLP, usually takes 13 weeks contracts in different parts of the US. Part of the salary can also be untaxed pending certain conditions. 

 Cabin in Ruidoso, NM

I completed multiple internships during my master's program in different settings; a private school, a private clinic for early intervention, a university clinic, and a hospital inpatient. I already knew coming into the program that working with kids wasn't my forte. So I really looked forward to the medical placements, which unfortunately was reduced due to the pandemic. 

A clinical fellowship (CF) year is required after completing a master's program for Speech therapy. Specific requirements, including supervision, are necessary for the successful completion of a CF year. Since travel therapy usually is a short-term contract, it is challenging to complete the CF requirements especially finding supervisors. 

    Ben walking in Ruidoso, NM

Most of the travel therapy CF jobs that I came across were in the school system, which was not a match for me. I really want to gain experience in medical settings and work with adults. I find it challenging (not impossible) to complete my CF in the schools then transition to the medical setting. I did not want to have to complete extra steps in order to find a job in the medical setting later on. 

I decided to complete my CF year at a nursing home near Sacramento, California, in a permanent position. I am excited about this opportunity. The company seems nice, and everyone that I talked to was really friendly and informative. I am thinking of doing approximately 1 to 2 and 1/2 years with the company and then start my travel therapy journey! 

Mountain peak from tram ride in Albuquerque, NM

Thank you for reading this post! As always, do not hesitate to message me with any questions. Have a great 4th of July!!!

Comments

Popular Post