After Americorps

This year after my AmeriCorps contract ended, I decided to go back to school to get my master's in Speech-Language Pathology, which I'll go into detail on my next posts. I decided to start taking online classes to work a full-time job and stay in the northeast area. I took a job as a children case manager at an outpatient mental health nonprofit, where I get to connect families with resources and refer them to programs that will help their children.

I am a case manager in a small town northwest of Philadelphia. The town has fewer resources than Philly and has a need for educational and economic growth. As a case manager, I am exposed to a variety of unique cases that requires behavioral, educational, and cognitive intervention. Those cases allowed me to learn about Speech Therapists and their scope of practice. 

        Norristown, PA. (Photo credit goes to Norristown.org)

Unfortunately, being a case manager does not seem to be a perfect fit for my career, mainly because I wanted to use my background as a linguist in my career and wanted to work in a job that allowed me to travel and do something different every day. This does not mean that I did not enjoy being a case manager, but the work was similar daily, and it required me to sit behind a desk and making phone calls for the majority of the day. However, it is a career that is needed and is beneficial for people in the community, and provides a bridge where people can connect with their providers and receive help when needed. 




Comments

Popular Post